Saturday, March 23, 2013

Flooring Selections

My appointment with Creative Touch Interiors (CTI) was today....right at the end of my 30 day period of making any changes, so I had to be really sure about today's choices. This was a fun appointment, and not too difficult. I only had to choose carpet - all the ceramic and hardwood was selected at the model home design center.

A shout out to my fellow blogger C, who suggested taking some samples outside to see them in natural light....very helpful tip!! Also, my flooring center associate mentioned that colors will look 2 or 3 shades lighter when installed, due to the large area of installation - versus the smaller sample sizes. Equipped with these tips, and not wanting to go tooooo light on the flooring, here are my selections.....

For the family room, I selected Sand Swept to go with the Saddle hardwood (I upgraded all the hardwood to the wider planks).

Saddle and Sand Swept

And for the rest of the carpeted areas (basement, upstairs, living room, dining room), I chose Sahara Buff. I was torn on upgrading the padding, but my mom thought it would be a good idea...I may regret it later, as some bloggers mentioned not really being able to tell the difference. I went to 8lb pad....we'll see.

From left to right, top to bottom...Sand Swept, Saddle, Sahara Buff, guest bath tile, master bath tile
While I was there, I also was checking out the variations of the St. Cecelia granite. There are certainly some wild levels of variation. I noticed that to be true also of the Saddle coloring for the hardwood. One Saddle sample look a lot more red, as another appeared more brown. So here's hoping for the 'browner' saddle, and a nice light to medium St. Cecelia!!

11 comments:

  1. We really enjoyed our flooring appointment and almost took up the full 3 hours scheduled. We also went with Saddle hardwood (it was either saddle or gunstock - we wanted the darker color). If you're in the DMV, the model in Fairwood has saddle in the wider planks, and it looked really nice. On the invoice sheet for M&R it gave the exact color and Bruce hardwood line (for us it's listed as Dundee Oak Saddle). We also went with the 8lb pad upstairs and in the basement, but were on the fence about it. We decided to keep it because, at the very least, it has a moisture barrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J and M! I was the same way between the gunstock and the saddle. I am in the DMV... Haven't been to the model in Fairwood, but there is a Ryan model in a community in Fort Washington called Washington Overlook. That model has saddle, St. Cecelia and the cherry bordeaux cabinets - it all looks really good together, so that's what I went with for the kitchen. I think I will try to make it out to Bowie one of these weekends though. I love scoping out models!

      Moisture barrier! Yay! Thanks for making me feel somewhat better about the 8lb. I was really wondering if it was worth it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Pinkrage!!! Your house is absolutely fabulous!!! LOVE the brick. It all looks so good coming together. I can only hope I did just as well. :)

    Enjoyed your Suze post. Lol! If she could just advise me on where to find a $$$ tree, I could handle it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice! Glad you had a good appointment.

    I think you'll be very happy with your upgraded wider planks on the hardwood; it is a great look and the saddle is a good color. I was also on the fence about upgrading the padding (was trying to save $$ somewhere), but my mom convinced me to upgrade because she said even though you don't really feel a difference (I couldn't), the entry level stuff tends to break apart very quickly and your carpet won't wear as well.

    Yes, variations in the St. Cecilia are crazy. My SR just told me that what has been coming in lately is the light version but it does change often. If you were really concerned, you could always ask to go pick your granite slab. Most of what I've seen on other blogger's sites is great (light, medium or dark) but I was just very afraid of the yellow/mustard version that CTI used for one of their counter tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also looking to see a Santa Cecelia/ cherry boreoux and saddle wide planks combo. It would be great if you could post dime pictures of the model in your community that has this combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sid...I'll do a post for you to show the pics. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I look forward to you posting the pics

      Delete