Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Prepping for Guardian

I got a call this morning from the Guardian rep...we're on for a meeting this coming Monday, March 4th. I've had the same alarm company in two different residences over the last 6 years, so in order to prepare for the Guardian meeting, I called my current company, told them I was looking at building new construction and moving again - I wanted to see what they were offering in comparison to what the Guardian rep would try to sell me.

My only resource for Guardian pricing and services has been the blogs (EXCELLENT resource!) and what they have on the website. The Guardian installation appears to be just the doors, one motion detector and a keypad. And it seems that the basic monitoring (using a land line?) starts at $40 or $45 a month. My current alarm company is offering me a 3 year contract, and they won't raise my rate. I'm currently paying $90 a quarter (I like paying quarterly), and I have a land line installation. The current place doesn't do land line installs anymore (wow! land lines...the way of the buffalo), so my new install would be cellular. It would include all doors, two motion detectors (I lobbied for the extra!), one keypad and the hand held remote. I was informed that window contacts cost approximately $75 per window, but the more windows you get, the cheaper the price becomes. And no installation fees. Not too shabby. Sounds like it may be cheaper than Guardian.  I guess the big difference would be the wired system versus the wireless system. I don't know if this is a big thing for me....should it be? My reasoning is, ultimately, if the system keeps people of the unwanted nature out....does it matter if it's wired or wireless?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, the security system Guardian offers (for $250) are the doors, one motion detector and one keypad. The $45/month is for the cellular service. They do have a landline service, it's about $30/month. Guardian's standard contract is a 5-year but they will do 3 if you ask. Also, if you don't want the system maintenance plan (insurance), they will take $5/month off.

    The window sensors were around $75. No discounts for buying a greater number.

    If you go with their security, ask what kind of service incentive they can do for you. They offered us 3 months free.

    Ultimately, I decided to find another company. I just wasn't comfortable with being locked into paying $45/month for 3 years... The only benefit to Guardian is that the sensors they install are not like the big wireless ones, but to me I'll take the wireless boxes to save some money. Security-wise there's no difference between hardwired and wireless. I've heard this from a couple of guys who do professional security for a living...

    I have an electronic brochure from Guardian (since we're close I'm assuming the prices are the same) that gives an overview of all the services they offer. Let me know if you want to see it. Guardian may also send you this brochure via email prior to your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C, thank you sooooo much! My current company sounds fairly comparable,so I'll probably stick with them. They have a good track record of working for me - I did have a break in once, and things worked out just as they should have. I'm not too worried about the wireless boxes either. I'm glad to hear that there is no real difference between the wired system versus the wireless.

      The Guardian rep told me he would send me the info today, so I'd be ready for our meeting. Since I hate cleaning (even with fancy gadgets!), that nixes the central vac....so I guess I'll just need cable/ethernet/phone stuff.

      Thanks again for chiming in....I appreciate it!!!

      Delete