Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wants, Wants and More Wants!

My appointment with my SR is quickly approaching. I'm soooo excited. Still a little apprehensive. I want this all to be real, but it's not feeling real yet. :)

This is the appointment where we build the house out on paper...decide on all the options and work the numbers. I'm sure this is in anticipation of being able to write out the purchase agreement. Here's the thing - I want a lot of stuff. Want. Want. Want. So I figure before I come crashing down to reality, I can at least write out aaaallllllll the things I'm hoping for. Knowing that I probably won't get it all. It's the 'b' word causing my hindrance. Budget. Sigh. Yes. I must stick to one. So here's my list. A lot of it has been inspired by the blogs I've read - so thank you Ryan Homes e-family!!!

Basement (the lot currently on hold is a walk out)
--Finished basement (currently free via incentive)
--French doors, instead of a sliding glass door.
--Upgraded carpet and padding
--Dedicated outlets for stove and fridge
--Recessed lighting

Main Level
--Morning Room (currently an incentive going on with this. I don't think it's free, but reduced)
--Extra windows in Morning room, family room and study.
--Upgraded carpet in family room
--Recessed lighting in the family room
--Hardwood flooring in kitchen, morning room and study.
--Island in the kitchen.
--Gourmet kitchen:: here's the thing about the kitchen...currently there is an incentive where Ryan Homes is offering a free 'gourmet kitchen'. The thing is, I don't know right now what all that entails. I do know my SR said free hardwood. And I think SS appliances. I don't think it includes the island. Not sure if it includes granite countertops (want that) or upgraded cabinetry (want that). Oh, and recessed lights. Want those for the kitchen as well.

Upper Level
--Extra windows in guest rooms.
--Upgraded padding
--Upgraded cabinets in guest bath.
--Upgraded tile/countertops in guest bath.
--Elongated toilets.
--Upgraded master suite:: this is the want that pains me the most. Because its SUPER expensive. I can get a few other good ones for the price of just this; however, this upgrade would give me the separate soaking tub and nice shower. Plus two walk-in closets. Plus a bigger room. It's a great upgrade. Now I can just go with the bathroom upgrade. It's not as expensive. But man. I reeeaaalllly want the whole suite upgrade. We'll see how this one goes. :)

Miscellaneous
--Ceiling fan rough ins in morning room, family room, study, and all bedrooms
--Alarm system with monitoring
--Garage door opener
-- Extra outside light on garage (I think there is only one?)
--Data/cable ports in study, family room, master bedroom, one guest bedroom

So what do you think?? Sounds like 2 million dollars in options, no? LOL. All in all, I just feel extremely blessed to even have this amazing opportunity to perhaps build a home. If necessary, I would take the house option-free. But a girl is allowed to want, want, want, right???

6 comments:

  1. Hi,Welcome to the family, there's nothing wrong with wanting, we all do but like you said the budget is what stops us. I am sure you will get most of your wants but it adds up quick. Don't forget to account for the wall plugs they never give you enough. Happy building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your purchase! Yes, budget gets you every time - especially because Ryan charges BIG $$$ for anything over their "standard". Usually, it's best to make sure you get the structural items, the things that can not be changed (luxury owner's suite, extra windows, morning room, etc). Then you can play give and take with all of the other upgrades to get what works best for you and your budget.

    At your meeting with your SR and you make all of your initial selections, you will get a list of all options available to you (and what everything costs). I found this really helpful. Go over this carefully - make sure you are getting what you think you are. Ask lots of questions and get clarifications in writing. It will only help you in the long run.

    Can't wait to watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging family and congratulations! Never hurts to want! You'd be surprised how many things you add after you say you won't :-) The incentives help! Just remember, do things that are structural for sure because those can't be added. Things that can be dealt with later do later, like C said! It's exciting so anything you get is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for chiming in!! I had my meeting today, and will do a post (probably tomorrow - I'm beat!) to tell what I decided. I'm still toying around...but I think I followed your great advise...get things now that will be hard to do later. What a process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my take on your list. I would definitely do the ceiling fan rough-ins in all bedrooms. We only did the master, and I regret it. And remember some of these things you don't need to roll into your mortgage, pay for them on your own--it will save you 30 years on paying for something that was only $175, you understanding what I'm saying? In regard to the upgraded carpet, I would hold off on this one. My rationale was to go with the standard carpet knowing that I will probably replace these in 5 years anyway.

    To this degree, I did do upgraded padding in the family room. Ask me if I feel a difference, nope! We have the upgraded master suite, it's a must! I would also skip the extra windows in the morning room. My neighbors have the extra windows and they complain about two things: the room is colder because of the windows and not space to hang wall art and putting furniture there is limited.

    I also have the standard laminate countertops with the gourmet island. I wanted granite, but the prices were marked up by Ryan and the color choices were limited. I figured, I would upgrade the kitchen in 3-5 years so I will wait to choose my color palette and add counter tops then. What we did upgrade in the kitchen were our cabinets--that's a must and cheaper to do with Ryan. In regard to the light fixture in morning room--we asked for the standard fixture to be moved into the morning room, and Ryan obliged.

    Finally, remember that you will be living in the house for a while--it does not have to be perfect and part of the fun of moving somewhere new is to make it your very own. So, when picking upgrades, do structural things over aesthetic. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle!!! Thank you so much for your input. It’s appreciated, and gives me some things to think about. I’ve already decided that whatever I pick up from Guardian (which won’t be much, I don’t think) and CTI, I would pay for with cash at closing. That will keep me from doing anything too crazy, and I totally agree with you – some things we just don’t need to pay for over a 30 year span.
      As far as the ceiling fans….Ryan has a whole new ceiling fan package. And the thing I’m digging is if you get the complete ceiling fan package (the actual fan installed by Ryan), you get this really nice wall plate that will allow you to control the speed of the fan, and of course the switch to control the light. For me here, the difference between the rough in and the whole package is $220. Since I’m not handy (and associate with a bunch of non-handy people), by the time I buy a fan and pay for it to be installed…..I don’t know. I may pay for a couple of full fan installs – at least in the family room and my bedroom.
      I’m soooooo glad you mentioned the upgraded padding. I’ve been contemplating as to whether or not I’d know the difference. Knowing me, probably not. I’ll probably go standard everywhere there is carpet. Even though, I was thinking I wanted a nice(r) carpet in the family room, but….maybe not. I’ll have to see if it will be cost effective.
      As far as the upgraded master – YES, YES, YES – lol – must do that. The model in my neighborhood is the Savoy, and after seeing that, how could one not get it??? I couldn’t even imagine the house without that!!!
      I’ll have to consider the morning room windows. I didn’t consider the effect on temperature. I’m just a lover of windows! I think I asked for every extra window possible. Of course, I’ll hate having to cover all of them. Yeah, the furniture limitations. Now my mom did say that. She’s not feeling me on all my window selections. At all. Lol.
      The only reason I went with granite was because it was free. One of the incentives in the neighborhood right now – an entirely upgraded kitchen, including the hardwood. I do agree, though, that the granite options are VERY limited. Did you get the 9’ ceilings on the first floor? I’m wondering if I’m going to be able to tell the difference without them. Of course, the model has them…torn on that one a little. The cabinet upgrade was part of the incentive as well.
      Thanks again for your time!! I’ve been watching your house come along beautifully! You are quite creative and have a great sense of style!

      Delete