Friday, May 3, 2013

Stoked and Staked (Pre Con Meeting)

This afternoon I had my pre-construction meeting with my SR and PM. I really like my PM - he was friendly, personable and knowledgeable. He's been building homes for Ryan for more than 30 years, and lives in a Ryan home that was built 17 years ago. He also gave my his business card, complete with his cell number, and told me to call him anytime I had any questions or issues - even if it was on a weekend. I can appreciate that. I provided him with my cell number and email, and he told me he would email me pics from time to time as well. I'd say we're off to a GREAT start!

The PM pulled out the big architectural blueprints, and we went over the entire house - outside and in - floor by floor, room by room. Like most of you, I've looked at my paperwork so much that I've memorized every option I've selected, so it was easy to confirm that everything was correct. I had 3 change orders, and all my changes were correctly included.

I found only a couple of things interesting while going over the home. First, the sump pump....the one I thought I wouldn't have. LoL. I just *assumed* being in a walkout, for some reason I wouldn't need one. It's certainly not a big deal, but now I guess I have to think about a battery back up. My PM said that Ryan puts in a battery backup if your basement is underground, but not for a walk out. (He said he'll see what he can do on getting me one).  And second....the attic/attic storage. There is attic "access" in bedroom #3, but not with any stairs, because technically, per the PM, this isn't a viable area to use as storage. So question...for those of you who know more than I....do I have to have the attic access? Can't we just close up ceiling and keep it moving? Along these same lines, my PM mentioned that there would be an area in the garage that could be used as attic storage. Any SAVOY owners reading this....do you know about this garage/attic access?

Lastly, my PM says they plan to dig on MONDAY, May 6 (weather permitting)!!  I was sooooo totally shocked! I figured it would be another couple of weeks before the big dig. We went to walk the lot, and I found out that the lot has been staked. I was expecting a not-too-large yard, and I'm fairly satisfied with what I've got - 26ft between my side neighbor, 26ft from my back neighbor, and 37ft of side yard (I'm on the corner). Sound like a big 2-story deck is in my future.




Tentative date for my final walk-through has been set for August 12th. Woot, Woot!!



20 comments:

  1. looks like everything went well with your pre-construction meeting. Your lot seems plenty big. Where we are, I think the homes are less than 20 ft apart. The price of doing business to build in our county (without paying through the room).

    Hope the weather holds up so they can break ground on Monday. It was gorgeous outside in the DMV today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J and M, and thanks!! Yes, it was a gorgeous day around these parts...praying for a good Monday. Although, I've gotten so good at waiting, a day or two delay won't kill me. :)

      Hope you guys see some action soon.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Monday!!!! That is so exciting! I hope we get a lot of yard too, so far they seem pretty strict on how much of the lot they will clear. Any idea how they decide that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Newlys :). I believe Ryan clears xxx number of feet behind your house as a standard, but I'm not sure what that number is. In a previous house, I actually caught the 'dude with the bobcat' and paid him on the side to clear more! I like trees and all, but not super found of raking leaves. :) This house doesn't have any 'natural' trees...only the ones Ryan will plant.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie!! Looks like you may see some action soon...we could be build buddies. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay were twins we start Monday too finally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, the preconstruction is just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay ! I am so excited for you !

    http://thehomeprocess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh. I am excited for you! See, the wait wasn't too long for you. Can't wait to see pics. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki!! Thank you :) I hope all is chugging along in your process. The wait always feels like an eternity...I guess all in all, it wasn't *that* bad. Lol.

      Hope to have some good pics to post this evening. It's a pretty dreary day in the DMV.

      Have a super day too!

      Delete
    2. Still waiting girl.....nothing, nada....

      Delete
    3. I can empathize...I did the waiting thing for 2 months. It sucks big time. Hang on in there! I'm hoping you get some type of news soon. I'm glad you stop by and read. Soon we'll be celebrating some good news for you :)

      Delete
    4. Stalking from blog to blog.

      Delete
  8. Today's the day!!! Finally :) Can't wait to see/read how it went.

    Sounds like you had a great pre-construction. From what I know the attic access is a mandatory thing (even if there is no "storage value" up there).

    That's a great size lot, I think you will end up really happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! Yes, finally my day. I'm so useless at work today...all I can think about is what's going on 'back at the ranch'. LoL.

      Hoping your insulation project goes well. You guys are moving right along. I was roaming around southern md this weekend, and stopped in to check out the model...LOVED the model. But really, have I met a model home I didn't like?

      Delete
  9. Congrats Stacey!!! That's pretty cool...After reading you post, I wish our PM could be so friendly, we'll know today....

    So today may be the day!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whooo Hoooo! Excited for you guys! I had fun at my meeting, I'm sure you will too. I saw your checklist - I think the PM will answer a lot of that before you even ask, but it's good to have a list to make sure you get answers to any and all questions.

      We have rain coming our way tonight, and I'm afraid my new big hole will be a swimming pool. :-\ Like you, I have a little concern...but hey, they are the experts that do this all the time, right??? I'm sure we'll be fine.

      Looking forward to an update about your meeting!!!

      Delete
    2. Sure, Blogging about our house (to-be is all I can do now-a-days ;-) I don't know what I'm really excited about today...meeting the PM or posting about it! LOL

      But seriously, this blogging thing is so addictive! :-)

      Delete
  10. Congrats! Nice lot--and 26' is great! Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete