Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Maybe it's just me.....

But I swear the strangest thing just happed. At least I think it strange. Let me share...

So like most people in the free world going through this process, I'm concerend about interest rates. Yes, there's nothing we can do about it. But for me, it's getting to be about the time I can lock in, before the picture (possibly) becomes more bleak. This is one thing that prompts me to reach out to my PM.

Allow me to throw in that I have NOT had any contact with my PM since my pre-constrution meeting. Except once. And that was because I popped by my lot early in the day once, and I caught him riding by. But he has not reached out to me for any updates, nor I have pinged him. Up until now, I had been comfortable with everything going on, thanks to the blogs and my research. And I'm an 'every other day' stalker. :)

Anywho, I'm reaching out my PM just to make sure we are on the same schedule he outlined in the pre-con meeting. At that time, he said he'd be done wtih the house by August 12th. So I shot him an email on Friday afternoon. Didn't get a response. Then, Monday around lunchtime, I gave him a call and left a message. So today he calls me back.

He states that things are moving along, and he plans to have my final walkthrough on August 9th, which would give me a closing date around the 14th.  And then he says, "Did you want to walk through the house before we hang the drywall?".  SAY WHAT?!!?? Ummm, aren't we *supposed* to have a pre-drywall meeting? I clearly remember in the pre-con meeting, him telling me we would have a pre-drywall meeting. I realize the blogs aren't 'the gospel', but I've read like 16 trillion of them, and EVERYBODY has a pre-drywall meeting. So I answer him by saying, "Um, well, yeah". He goes, "Oh, well I probably should have called you last week and set up something....can you come by tomorrow?". Apparenlty the drywall is being stocked in the house TODAY and they were going to start hanging tomorrow. I surmise no one was gonna tell me. Sigh.

I suppose everyone reaches a point where their excitment level is nil. Well today, that is me. Between my spur-of-the-freakin-moment pre-drywall meeting, and crappy-as-heck interest rates.....I'm done.

14 comments:

  1. I feel you on that you know I am in the same boat as you and we haven't even begun drywall yet. Hopefully NVR will give you the best rate possible if not are you free to shop around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand. I feel the same pain when it comes to interest rates, but that not in your control.

    But I would suggest, you complain about lack of communication. That is key. I'm very surprised at your PM! He is suppose to update you every week. I would be very upset if my PM would "ask" me if I wanna have a pre drywall meeting.

    All the best...go get'em girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH, It is in black and white that you will have a pre-drywall, it's right in the "time-line" they give you... I would be HELLA pissed if they hung drywall before I could see what's behind it! Your PM should be giving you updates, weekly, mine was very good about that, the first PM was every Tuesday, then when he quit, every Friday. I would stay on him and double, triple, quadruple check everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLA pissed is about where I am. Since I go in all the time "unauthorized", I've seen everything, but STILL....I had questions that I was saving for this pre-drywall meeting that almost didn't even happen!!! I working on getting my blood pressure back to normal.

      Delete
    2. Best to go check your home often (not everyday but at least weekly). See my blog is you want to see the nightmare we went through with all the mistakes I found). Shakeseare.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. I am so surprised at the differences between PMs and the way they communicate and handle things! I feel like there should be some consistency or guidelines that they all have to follow.

    We don't get weekly updates either and it makes me so jealous when I read about people having weekly calls, or even walk-thrus with their PMs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ! I am really surprised that they didn't tell you ! Luckily you called and reached out to him !

    I've noticed, throughout our process, that the communciation between the PM, us and the SR is so messed up that you can't really trust anyone !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would get his managers info and give them a call. I find when you talk to the higher ups magic happens. He has failed in his job and RH should know about it. Good luck and keep on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um yeah...he has failed. At least you are still able to get in there. And at our pre-drywall meeting, he gave us a closing date that was 45 days out. So shop rates and get something on a 60 day lock now if you can! Once you lock, forget about it and stop checking the rates. It's hard to do but ultimately you will know you got the best you could get and now you can just sit back and enjoy your house process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, I feel you on those stinking interest rates...its not like the rates went up 1% and we can't afford it anymore...we can absolutely afford it, BUT now we are just giving the bank an extra $100+ a month for nothing...UGH.

    I would be pissed about that PM situation...and make it known, that is not OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually rates did go up 1%+.
      We could've locked at 3.5% or lower in early May but due to delay (Ryan's fault), rates are now at 4.5% or higher.

      Delete
  9. Agree with others that the pre-drywall meeting isn't optional for you to attend. I think they told us our pre-construction meeting was optional, but the pre-drywall and pre-settlement required us to be there.

    Also feeling your pain on the rates. We're in the same boat and are looking at August for a 60-day lock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Stacey, as Rachael pointed out, it is in your manual that they give you when you sign your paperwork. It gives you, I think, three or four important meetings. First, the pre-construction, then the pre-drywall, the final walk-through, and the closing. We have done all of those (except the closing). I believe everyone that I have read on these blogs has done the same. It could have just been a poor choice of wording on the part of the PM, but even if it is this is what causes frustrations and confusion. Definitely have the meeting and schedule it quickly. This way you can lock in your rate as soon as possible.
    I am not sure what the rates are right now, but they do seem to be on their way up. Maybe with all that's happening in the stock market it will stall. I am holding out hope for you and the others!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breakdown on communication...STAY ON HIM!

    ReplyDelete